Gutters are a fundamental part of your home. They protect your exterior walls, windows, doors, soffits, fascia and foundation from water. Faulty gutters can cause a variety of issues. When gutters leak or fail to divert water properly, structures can be subject to damage. So how can one recognize defective gutters? How will you know when new gutter installation is necessary? We have answers. The following signs suggest your home is ready for new gutters:
- Peeling paint: Although some peeling paint is typical and expected, an excessive amount of peeling paint or orange flecks indicates the presence of rust. Rusty gutters indicate that water is present constantly. When water is not being diverted properly, this suggests your gutters have cracks or other damage.
- Cracks: Have you noticed cracks in your gutters? Although small cracks may not seem like an urgent issue, small cracks quickly become big cracks. Cracks in your gutters will not only damage the gutters themselves, but they can also cause damage to soffits and fascia, roofing materials and foundations.
- Mildew around foundation: If there is mildew or pools of water around your home’s foundation, chances are your gutters are not properly keeping water away from your home’s exterior. This problem could be caused by something as simple as clogged gutters or something as complex as improper gutter installation. In order for gutters to work properly they must be free of clogs and cracks and they must be carefully installed by experienced roofing contractors.
- Gutters pull away from the roof: In order for gutters to work properly, they must be attached to your roof correctly. Improper gutter installation often causes gutters to sag or pull away from the roof. Whether due to improper gutter installation or improper draining, sagging gutters indicate the need for replacement.
- Water damage beneath the gutters: It is important to regularly check your gutters for water damage. If there is water damage or water marks beneath your gutters, this suggests that water is escaping the gutter improperly. When water escapes the gutters this damages your foundation, soffits and fascia.
Water damage beneath the gutters: It is important to regularly check your gutters for water damage. If there is water damage or water marks beneath your gutters, this suggests that water is escaping the gutter improperly. When water escapes the gutters this damages your foundation, soffits and fascia.
If you notice any of these damages or issues with your gutters, it might be time for new gutter installation. In order to preserve the life of your gutters, be sure to schedule frequent gutter cleaning. Clean gutters will dramatically improve the longevity of your system and foundation.